I turned 30 February 17th, 2019 and although it’s only been a few days I have been reflecting on this day weeks before my birthday. I just thought about how far I’ve come and where I’m at in this journey we call LIFE.
So I decided to write in my journal and just reflect on who I am becoming. Reflect on who I want to become and compare my life 10 years ago when I had just turned 20.
I wanted to share with you all my personal experiences and lessons I learned over the past years. Maybe I can help or inspire some of you with lessons learned.
1. Save Save Save! Save your money honey! If that means investing in 401 k plans, personal savings accounts, putting $50 every paycheck and budgeting to fit your lifestyle. I wish we learned about this in school because I don’t think we are money savvy in our early 20s.
2. Know your WORTH! I spent most of my time at jobs that did not value me or appreciate my time. I would give them my 100% but I still was underpaid. I have officially reached a point in my life where I will leave a job if I am not valued. Thank you next!
3. It’s never too late. I’ve decided to go back to school and pursue my fashion career. I also plan to start a business one day. It’s never too late to follow your dreams!
4. In my late 20s I finally accepted who I am flaws and all. You don’t realize how insecure you are until you look back at pictures and see how uncomfortable you look in your own skin. I feel like I’m at the point of my life were my confidence is so high that I feel like I can conquer anything.
5. Relationships will change and grow. This is a lesson that was hard for me to learn. You outgrow friendships and watch other relationships flourish. Growing apart is something inevitable because it only means that as a person you are growing, whether it means you got a new job, new hobby, got married or had a baby you just simply are not into the same things and that’s Ok! You are all growing in a good way. I try to keep in touch with the ones I love but understand this is a part of life.
6.Let go of anything weighing you down. If it’s not bringing you happiness or helping you succeed then LET IT GO! Surround yourself with positivity and get rid of things or people that are killing your vibe. Let go of negative people, let go of grudges, let go of your fears. If it’s a bad relationship with a boyfriend or a bad relationship at work don’t waste anymore time. I am still working on this one myself. I let go of a job beacuse it was making me so unhappy and it was the best decision yet. Hopefully I can do more letting go this year.
7. Get hip and be healthy. If it’s one thing I learned the hard way over the past 10 years is don’t take your health for granted. I went from having health insurance to not having insurance and let me tell you it pays off to try to be healthy. I don’t exercise as much as I used to because I have so much on my plate as a mother but I plan to get back to it asap. I gave up soda when I turned 22 and I don’t miss it at all. I try my best to take herbal vitamins and eat my veggies everyday. I wish I would’ve started caring more about what I was putting in my body at an earlier age.
I think that I’m finally at an age were things are more clearer than ever. If I could tell my 20 year old self something is to take your time because everyone is running their own race. You often feel like you have a checklist of things you envision yourself doing before you turn 30. But it’s ok if you are not where you imagine you would be at 30. I hope these lessons help some of you or maybe inspire you to write your own.