I like to consider myself a thrifty or money saavy shopper and if you have ever shopped with me you know this to be true. I love a good deal but don’t get me wrong I will spend money on things that are worthy. For example, the last few months I was on the hunt for the perfect white jeans. I tried Zara, H&M and Urban Outfitters but none were the fit I desired. Last week I went on my weekly thrifting venture and stumbled upon these vintage Levis white jeans and they were my size! So of course I took them home for only $6:)
In honor of National Thrift Shop day I wanted to dedicate a post on tips I use when thrifting.
- Patience is key when thrifting. Nothing will magically appear in your cart you have to dig and look for the gems in a thriftstore.
- Avoid sale days when thrifting. I have not had luck finding anything on those days. It’s crowded and alot of the good items are taken. Also it’s a thriftstore so how much more sale can you want since it’s all so much cheaper than retail stores. Oh and dont forget to avoid thrifting on Saturday’s since that’s when most people thrift.
- Go thrift store hunting. I love searching for new thrift stores in my area. You should dedicate a day to thrifting and go to several thrift shops in one day if possible. You can google search your local thrift shops and read reviews.
- Sizing is different. Since most of the clothes are considered vintage most sizes run small. So keep that in mind when looking for those vintage pieces.
- Get creative. Look for items that can be revamped. For me it’s Levis high waist jeans. I have made short shorts and long denim shorts with them. I even wear them as jeans too.
- Make a list of what you are on the hunt for. I try to go thrifting with a purpose. I usually have a look in mind for what I’m looking for when I go shopping.
- Have a budget. I know that alot of the items are on sale but you should still plan how much money you are willing to spend.
- Give your neighborhood thrift stores a chance. I love thrifting at stores that are not so popular. I usually find my goods there.
I love thrifting and I have found many gems over the past few years. I’ve had great luck with these tips. Also don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes!!